Monday, September 12, 2016

Daily Gratitude: Reflection


This morning starts a new cycle of gratitude focused on energy.

Day 20/365: Reflection
However, first I get to reflect on the past cycle which focused on success. It is said that reflection is the key to learning. For me, reflection is another form of gratitude, a reinforcing of the gratitudes I’ve already acknowledged.

At the end of each four week cycle, the Gratitude Miracles journal asks us to think about what was learned, what was surprising, and what wants to be changed.

As I look back and reflect on the past four weeks of gratitudes, I can see patterns and growth, as well as paths leading in new directions. I also see the continuing dance between two poles: the desire for community and connection and the love of solitude and contemplation. At the present moment, my life leans toward solitude and I feel the pull toward community. As I enter the next cycle, I want to connect more, have more conversations with fascinating people who are following their passion.
 
In the past four weeks, I recorded 19 miracles, some tiny, some truly significant. Without this pause for reflection, though, I would have rushed into the next moment without truly savoring the gifts that have already been given to me. I am so grateful for this process that slows me down long enough check in with myself, to make sure I’m leading the life I want to lead.

I am falling in love with creating gratitude “memes,” such as the one above and want to continue putting quotes together with my photography and art.

More thoughts on reflection:

Queen Margaret University in Edinburgh offers this --

Whatever you are reflecting on, the following points are important:
Reflection is an exploration and explanation of events – not just a description.
Reflection often involves revealing anxieties, errors and weaknesses, as well as strengths and successes.

It is usually necessary to select just the most significant parts of the event or idea on which you’re reflecting. Don’t try to tell the whole story, or you will end up only describing rather than reflecting.

It is often useful to reflect forward to the future – when you might do something differently as a result of reflecting – as well as reflecting back on the past.
*****

At the end of each class at Gateway Community College in Phoenix, students are asked to reflect on what they’ve learned. The website offers these words on reflection.

Reflection, or thinking about our experiences, is the key to learning. Reflection allows us to analyze our experiences, make changes based on our mistakes, keep doing what is successful, and build upon or modify past knowledge based on new knowledge. Reflection also allows us to make connections between courses or between school, work and home. By doing this, we begin to see how all parts of our lives are connected and to understand that we are a part of the web of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment